Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Pod Casting - A Useful Technologly

       I learned that podcasting is another tool that can be useful for teachers and students to use to share information. It can be used in the classroom for teachers to record lectures and allow the student to listen to them later or for projects that can easily be put together with a simple microphone and computer.

        Podcasting is similar to the Web 2.0 applications we have discussed in the way it is able to share information easily without any investment in expensive technology. A trend I'm noticing is that this stuff is simplified and affordable or pretty much completely free which is great for teachers, students, and parents alike. Things like this are just recently (in the last ten years) becoming available. This is a great time to become a teacher!

        I do own an iPod. I use it in many different ways, including downloading podcasts from iTunes. In fact, on my recent trip to Europe, I downloaded podcasts that were self guided walking audio tours. They were amazing for being free! For classroom use, I think if I felt students needed to listen to me again while studying at home, I would use podcasting to share recorded lectures. That is about the extent I would use them. For projects and other similar happenings in the classroom assigned to students, I think I would go with something else with video and audio features. I honestly can't think of a disadvantage of these online communication tools unless someone becomes to reliant on them. These type of things are great learning tools. Students learn how to share information more easily and can get more in depth with their computer usage which will help them in their futures as computers aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

Jonassen, D., Howland, J., Marra, R., & Crismond, D. (2008). Meaningful learning With Technology(3rd Edition). Columbus, OH: Pearson/Prentice Hall.

1 comment:

  1. Wow Chad how exciting to do a walking tour with using only a podcast downloaded onto your iPod. I think that would be an awesome idea if a class were to go on a field trip and use a podcast to explore. I agree with you that there really isn't much of a disadvantage of using online communication in the classroom unless a student become so relient on it. I also agree that it would be helpful to students that need a little overview of a lecture. Not all students learn the same way and by adding a Podcast or video/audeo features to assist them will only give them additonal ways to succeed in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete